Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Beginning

I am a ordinary 17 year old girl who is evolving and trying to find her way in the world. I have many passions varying from Books to TV to Fashion. As I am evolving, I have decided to document some of the things that I think about and share them with whoever is interested. Today I am going to talk about something that has been on my mind the last couple of days.


In life every girl gets to a point in her life, whether it be when she's 10, 16, 18,25 so on so on, where the things that she once loved and enjoyed, don't seem to please her anymore. You grow discontent with the things that use to make you happy. Well, it's like that for me. It's like one day your content with lower name brands such as Stitches, Aeropostale, Garage,etc. Then the next you want to have all the Gucci sunglasses and Rock and Republic jeans in the world. But when it comes down to it, no ordinary young women can afford to buy every luxury item she spies with her little eyes. So I have been pondering the last couples of days for a solution, and I have come up with a compromise; I have decided that whenever there is an opportunity to make it myself, that is exactly what I shall do. So in the hope that there are other girls out there like me that may be interest in D.I.Y (doing it yourself) I will share the steps of how to make my projects with you!

This week, I saw in Seventeen Magazine, Kim Kardashian wearing a nautical looking knotted headband by Jennifer Behr which you should know retails for approx. $200. It looked simple enough, so as my first D.I.Y project, I decided to give it a shot and try to make my own variation of the knotted headband. So below are the steps of how to make this nautical headband.

Knotted Headband

What you will need:
2 metres of rope (whatever colour you desire)
1/2 yard of 1 inch twill (suggested colour black)
an elastic band
sewing needle
thread (suggested colour black)

Step 1: Cut your rope in half, you will then have 2 equal pieces.



Step 2: Fold both pieces in half.
Step 3:  Put tape on the edges so that the rope wont unravel











Step 4: Take the hoop part of your folded rope and loop it over itself.




Step 5: Take the second piece of rope( Piece B) and put it through the first piece of rope (Piece A).
                                       
Step 6: Loop piece B over itself (as done for Piece A)



Step 7: Pull both sides slowly. (you now have your knot!)

Step 8: Measure the complete piece around your head leaving about 2 inches between both ends. Cut off excess material.
Step 9: Take the twill and wrap it over the elastic band and Side A.
Step 10: Sew the twill over the rope.
Step 11: Wrap the twill around the other side of the rope( Side B) along with the elastic.

Step 12: Sew the twill over the rope of Side B.

     Step 13: Sew all borders of the twill to give it that finished polished look.





So there you have it, your own knotted headband that I personally think goes well with this season's fashion.
In the near future, I may try my hand at some more complex knots.


And of course tell you about anymore D.I.Y projects and whatever else comes to my mind.
So stay posted.





                        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me your thoughts!